What are the advantages of owning a horse ranch?
You get live around the animals you love. If you’re lucky you get to breed animals that are better than the generation before. You can train and show those animals to confirm and assert your success in those areas.
You also get to work hard everyday mucking out stalls and pastures. Unless you’re wealthy enough to hire a lot of help, you’ll be loading and unloading 40–50 lb. bales of hay. If you live in cold/snow country you’ll need to go out to the pasture once or twice a day during the winter to take an ax or chainsaw to the ice on the water troughs.
Riding horses means lots of accoutrements. Saddles, bridles, blankets, pads, halters, leads, wraps, hoof pucks…you get the idea. And of course, there are regular vet bills. Having horses means hauling them to arenas, forest trails and vet clinics. That requires large heavy duty trucks and horse trailers.
An Arabian horse farm manager once quoted an old adage to me about the expense of owning a breeding/horse ranch. When asked,” How do you make a million dollars breeding horses?” He replied, “ Well, first you start out with $5 million…!”
Owning a horse ranch is fun and rewarding but it’s also expensive and a lot of dirty, hard work. But if you love your horses and enjoy riding, training them and just being around them every day there’s nothing better!!Read more at quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-of-owning-a-horse-ranch
- The evolution of the horse: part 4 - Modern horses, Genome sequencing, Pleistocene extinctions and Return to the Americas
- The evolution of the horse: part 3 - The forest-suited form was Kalobatippus whose second and fourth front toes were long, well-suited travel [...]
- The evolution of the horse: part 2 - Eocene and Oligocene: early equids - Eohippus, Orohippus, Epihippus, Mesohippus and Miohippus
- The evolution of the horse, a mammal of the family Equidae, occurred over a geologic time scale of 50 million years, transforming the small [...]
- Equine coronavirus is NOT the same as the strain of coronavirus referred to as COVID-19, and cannot be transmitted to humans.
- Hippodrama, horse drama, or equestrian drama is a genre of theatrical show blending circus horsemanship display with popular [...]
- Since it's Valentine's Day we thought we'd share the love with five fun (and interesting) Valentine's Day related facts about your horse [...]
- For centuries, humans have shared a special bond with horses, so it makes sense that there is no shortage of books about them.
- Barns and stables, filled with highly flammable hay, bedding, and feed, are a big fire risk. Add the presence of panicked animals and you have [...]
- Compared to other horses, ponies often exhibit thicker manes, tails and overall coat, as well as proportionally shorter [...]
- The history of the modern circus is deeply rooted in horsemanship. The first modern circuses, which took place during the 18th century [...]
- Arabian horses are the topic of many myths and legends. One origin story tells how Muhammad chose his foundation mares by a test of their [...]
- If our horses could share their New Year's Resolutions, we bet they'd go something like this [...]
- The trick to winning the race, advises a wise Paddy Payne to daughter Michelle, is to go a steady pace until finding [...]
- A pantomime horse is a theatrical representation of a horse or other quadruped by two actors in a single costume who cooperate and [...]
- Orbaks are the space horses in "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" directed by J.J. Abrams
- The Nokk is a character in Disney’s 2019 animated feature Frozen II. It is the horse-shaped elemental spirit of [...]
- New Year's Day is an American Thoroughbred racehorse. Racing only as a two-year-old he won two of his three races including the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
- Thanksgiving is a time of reflection. While your horse can't speak, we'll bet that he's thankful for a whole lot this Thanksgiving.
- The wild horse (Equus ferus) is a species of the genus Equus, which includes as subspecies the modern domesticated horse [...]
- Virtual horse games sound like something for small children, but plenty of adults play them. Sometimes they are horse lovers [...]
- The Banker horse is a breed of feral horse (Equus ferus caballus) living on barrier islands in North Carolina's Outer Banks.
- Classical dressage evolved from cavalry movements and training for the battlefield, and has since developed into the competitive dressage seen today.
- White horses are born white and stay white throughout their lives. White horses may have brown, blue, or hazel eyes.
- Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and [...]
- White horses have a special significance in the mythologies of cultures around the world. They are often associated with the sun chariot [...]
- In 1872, Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark, Jr. traveled to England, visiting Epsom in Surrey where The Derby had been running annually since 1780.
- Pegasus is a mythical winged divine horse, and one of the most recognized creatures in Greek mythology.
- The current Olympic equestrian disciplines are Dressage, Eventing, and Jumping. In each discipline, both individual and team medals are awarded.
- When you are looking to buy or sell property you are sure to have certain things in mind. This is a possibility especially if you have a specific need for it.
- If you are thinking of buying or selling horse property, register with a leading website that focuses on equine properties for sale.
- Unlike buying a home or a property, when it comes to buying an equestrian property to raise horses, the whole concept is something entirely different.
- You can sell equestrian real estate without much difficulty because there are unique websites that cater to buyers & sellers from around the world.
- There are several equestrian properties for sale but it is necessary to consider some basic points before you invest in a property.
- When you are planning your horse property for listing, do it through a popular and reliable website for equine real estate.
- Perhaps the most famous warhorse remains disputed; nonetheless, according to legend The TROJAN HORSE
- Horse racing in the United States dates back to 1665, which saw the establishment of the Newmarket course in Salisbury, New York.
- The American Quarter Horse, the official State Horse of Texas, is an American breed of horse that excels at sprinting short distances.
- Horse racing is a sport that translates well to board games. These are our picks for the best horse-racing board games.
- Between adhering to building codes and choosing the best equipment, there are many details to bear in mind when planning your dream stall barn.
- A movie ranch is a ranch that is at least partially dedicated for the creation and production of motion pictures and television productions.
- Everyone adores horses, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are tons of movies starring these beautiful creatures.
- Horses have captured the imagination and emotion of mankind for centuries – perhaps, in a way that no other species of animal ever has.
- Horse farms are often considered one of the most “green” businesses in agriculture. We don’t spread undue amounts of chemical fertilizer.
- Do you dream of owning your own stable, or perhaps just owning a place where you can keep your horses in the backyard?
- Anne Kusian, Arabian horse breeder and riding instructor are giving you a flavor of what are the advantages of owning a horse ranch.