20 Horse Movies for Every Equestrian Aficionado
Everyone adores horses, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are tons of movies starring these beautiful creatures. From beloved pets to speed demons on the track, there are numerous equine-centric films that have won our hearts throughout the history of Hollywood. What are you waiting for? Stop horsing around and check out these 20 movies about horses that'll have you saying "yay," not "neigh."
The fifth film adaptation of Anna Sewell's 1877 novel of the same name, 1994's Black Beauty was the directorial debut of Caroline Thompson. The best part of this film? The lovable Alan Cumming serves as a narrator and is the voice of the titular horse whose life is the subject of the entire story.
The Black Stallion
Carroll Ballard's 1979 film The Black Stallion—which earned two Oscar nominations—is based on the children's novel of the same name by Walter Farley. It follows Alec Ramsey, who gets shipwrecked on a deserted island with a wild Arabian stallion. The two become friends and enter a race challenging two champion horses.
All The Pretty Horses
Horses admittedly take a backseat in terms of the storytelling of 2000's All the Pretty Horses, directed by Billy Bob Thornton and based on the Cormac McCarthy novel of the same name. Matt Damon plays a cowboy who falls for a wealthy rancher's daughter, played by Penélope Cruz—what's more to love?
Another film on this list, The Horse Whisperer, hired the man in this 2011 documentary as the lead equine consultant: Buck Brannaman. Here, we learn about the the real-life horse whisperer whose goal in life is to get people to communicate with horses via leadership and sensitivity, not punishment.
The Derby Stallion
In 2005's The Derby Stallion, Zac Efron stars as a wayward teen who—as perceived by a former champion jockey (Bill Cobbs)—has a gift around horses and is able to realize that talent. Bet you didn't know about this Efron gem!
The Electric Horseman
Directed by Sydney Pollack, 1979's The Electric Horseman stars Robert Redford as a championship rodeo star who, after becoming a breakfast cereal spokesperson, runs away with the company's race horse—aptly named Rising Star. Jane Fonda plays a television reporter chasing down this wild story.
Loosely based on Mary O'Hara's 1941 novel for kids titled My Friend Flicka, 2006's Flicka is about a little girl (Alison Lohman) who finds a wild mustang she claims as her own and sets out to tame in the attempt to prove to her parents, played by Tim McGraw and Maria Bello, that she is ready to take over the family ranch.
Viggo Mortensen stars as legendary American distance rider Frank Hopkins in 2004's Hidalgo. Hidalgo is the beloved mustang owned by Hopkins and the film depicts the duo's racing adventures in Arabia back in 1891 and how they went up against pure-blooded Arabian horses.
The Horse Whisperer
Directed by and starring Robert Redford, 1998's The Horse Whisperer features the auteur as a horse trainer who has an amazing gift for understanding creatures of the equine persuasion. Redford's character is hired to help an injured teen (Scarlett Johansson) ride once again after experiencing a tragedy. The song "A Safe Place to Fall" garnered the film's only Oscar nomination.
Cinema legend Stanley Kubrick's 1956 film The Killing centers around a racetrack heist of $2 million that is set to happen as the favorite racehorse is murdered as a distraction. This is a gritty noir option if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.
The Man From Snowy River
Based on a Banjo Paterson poem of the same name, George T. Miller's The Man From Snowy River from 1982 starred Kirk Douglas in a dual role as the owners of a cattle ranch. We follow a young man who seeks a job there after experiencing a tragedy in the hopes of taking over the family business.
We all know Elizabeth Taylor as one of the biggest stars Hollywood has ever produced, but 1944's National Velvet gives us a look at this talent in the early years. It was nominated for five Oscars (winning two) and was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 2003.
This one isn't exactly about a horse—it's about a zebra who thinks it's a horse. We're talking about 2005's Racing Stripes, which stars the vocal talents of Frankie Muniz as the central zebra character and Hayden Panettiere as the teen who dreams of riding horseback.
A seven-time Oscar nominee, 2003's Seabiscuit is loosely based on the race horse of the same name. After experiencing some success on the track, Seabiscuit became a media darling during the Great Depression. Come for the underdog story and stay to see Tobey Maguire (who plays Seabiscuit's jockey) bond with a hero horse.
Disney put its hoof print in equine cinema with 2010's Secretariat, which chronicles the epic career of a race horse of the same name that won the Triple Crown in 1973—the first in 25 years. It stars Diane Lane as Secretariat's owner, who navigates the male-dominated industry, and John Malkovich as its trainer.
Something To Talk About
Lasse Hallström's 1995 film Something to Talk About—written by Callie Khouri—is about a woman named Grace (Julia Roberts) who, after finding out she has a cheating husband, moves home with her kid to the horse farm owned by her parents.
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
Kids will absolutely love 2002's Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron—a DreamWorks film that was nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar and served as the directorial debuts for Kelly Asbury and Lorna Cook. Matt Damon narrates the film as Spirit, but the horses communicate via sounds and body language in lieu of dialogue.
Steven Spielberg's 2011 war drama—aptly titled War Horse—is the latest adaptation of a work that began as a novel, became a play, and finally a film. It's unique in that we see the horrors of World War I through the eyes of a horse named Joey. This one garnered six Oscar nominations.
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken from 1991 is a film based on the the memoir by Sonora Webster Carver titled A Girl and Five Brave Horses. It's about a young woman who, after being inspired by a performance at the fair, sets out to become a daredevil who rides horses during high dives.Read more at www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/g26506199/horse-movies/
- The evolution of the horse: part 4 - Modern horses, Genome sequencing, Pleistocene extinctions and Return to the Americas
- The evolution of the horse: part 3 - The forest-suited form was Kalobatippus whose second and fourth front toes were long, well-suited travel [...]
- The evolution of the horse: part 2 - Eocene and Oligocene: early equids - Eohippus, Orohippus, Epihippus, Mesohippus and Miohippus
- The evolution of the horse, a mammal of the family Equidae, occurred over a geologic time scale of 50 million years, transforming the small [...]
- Equine coronavirus is NOT the same as the strain of coronavirus referred to as COVID-19, and cannot be transmitted to humans.
- Hippodrama, horse drama, or equestrian drama is a genre of theatrical show blending circus horsemanship display with popular [...]
- Since it's Valentine's Day we thought we'd share the love with five fun (and interesting) Valentine's Day related facts about your horse [...]
- For centuries, humans have shared a special bond with horses, so it makes sense that there is no shortage of books about them.
- Barns and stables, filled with highly flammable hay, bedding, and feed, are a big fire risk. Add the presence of panicked animals and you have [...]
- Compared to other horses, ponies often exhibit thicker manes, tails and overall coat, as well as proportionally shorter [...]
- The history of the modern circus is deeply rooted in horsemanship. The first modern circuses, which took place during the 18th century [...]
- Arabian horses are the topic of many myths and legends. One origin story tells how Muhammad chose his foundation mares by a test of their [...]
- If our horses could share their New Year's Resolutions, we bet they'd go something like this [...]
- The trick to winning the race, advises a wise Paddy Payne to daughter Michelle, is to go a steady pace until finding [...]
- A pantomime horse is a theatrical representation of a horse or other quadruped by two actors in a single costume who cooperate and [...]
- Orbaks are the space horses in "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" directed by J.J. Abrams
- The Nokk is a character in Disney’s 2019 animated feature Frozen II. It is the horse-shaped elemental spirit of [...]
- New Year's Day is an American Thoroughbred racehorse. Racing only as a two-year-old he won two of his three races including the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
- Thanksgiving is a time of reflection. While your horse can't speak, we'll bet that he's thankful for a whole lot this Thanksgiving.
- The wild horse (Equus ferus) is a species of the genus Equus, which includes as subspecies the modern domesticated horse [...]
- Virtual horse games sound like something for small children, but plenty of adults play them. Sometimes they are horse lovers [...]
- The Banker horse is a breed of feral horse (Equus ferus caballus) living on barrier islands in North Carolina's Outer Banks.
- Classical dressage evolved from cavalry movements and training for the battlefield, and has since developed into the competitive dressage seen today.
- White horses are born white and stay white throughout their lives. White horses may have brown, blue, or hazel eyes.
- Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and [...]
- White horses have a special significance in the mythologies of cultures around the world. They are often associated with the sun chariot [...]
- In 1872, Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark, Jr. traveled to England, visiting Epsom in Surrey where The Derby had been running annually since 1780.
- Pegasus is a mythical winged divine horse, and one of the most recognized creatures in Greek mythology.
- The current Olympic equestrian disciplines are Dressage, Eventing, and Jumping. In each discipline, both individual and team medals are awarded.
- When you are looking to buy or sell property you are sure to have certain things in mind. This is a possibility especially if you have a specific need for it.
- If you are thinking of buying or selling horse property, register with a leading website that focuses on equine properties for sale.
- Unlike buying a home or a property, when it comes to buying an equestrian property to raise horses, the whole concept is something entirely different.
- You can sell equestrian real estate without much difficulty because there are unique websites that cater to buyers & sellers from around the world.
- There are several equestrian properties for sale but it is necessary to consider some basic points before you invest in a property.
- When you are planning your horse property for listing, do it through a popular and reliable website for equine real estate.
- Perhaps the most famous warhorse remains disputed; nonetheless, according to legend The TROJAN HORSE
- Horse racing in the United States dates back to 1665, which saw the establishment of the Newmarket course in Salisbury, New York.
- The American Quarter Horse, the official State Horse of Texas, is an American breed of horse that excels at sprinting short distances.
- Horse racing is a sport that translates well to board games. These are our picks for the best horse-racing board games.
- Between adhering to building codes and choosing the best equipment, there are many details to bear in mind when planning your dream stall barn.
- A movie ranch is a ranch that is at least partially dedicated for the creation and production of motion pictures and television productions.
- Everyone adores horses, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are tons of movies starring these beautiful creatures.
- Horses have captured the imagination and emotion of mankind for centuries – perhaps, in a way that no other species of animal ever has.
- Horse farms are often considered one of the most “green” businesses in agriculture. We don’t spread undue amounts of chemical fertilizer.
- Do you dream of owning your own stable, or perhaps just owning a place where you can keep your horses in the backyard?
- Anne Kusian, Arabian horse breeder and riding instructor are giving you a flavor of what are the advantages of owning a horse ranch.